How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100050
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a senior Canadian who has lived in the same apt. years.

Customer Question

I am a senior Canadian who has lived in the same apt. for 8 years. Yesterday I left the bathtub running and ended up causing extensive water damage to my apt. and 3/4 of the hallway outside my door.
A company arrived who was in my apt. till 11pm last night.
I received a letter from Management saying that I was responsible for all damage and follow up repairs to my own and the entranceway to the apt. next door.
Because today is a holiday I could not speak to the correct person re this claim.
I have had a condition called Attention Deficit Disorder and this is the reason I forgot about the running tub until 3/4 hour later.
The Management company is notoriously cheap.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what your question is. Are you asking if you are liable to pay for this?

If so the answer is that you are. It doesn't matter whether you have a disability or not. You are liable to pay all the damages as that is how the law works. And it is not about the management company being cheap either. It is about the law which is clearly that if someone is at fault for causing damages they have to pay for them.

Whether your insurance covers you or not is another issue but if you are covered for accidental water damage then the insurance will cover you. If you are not covered for this type of accident then you may not receive coverage. So it really depends on what your policy contains and what you are paying for.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Legal Ease.June Castro
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

If you feel we are done please rate me as I cannot get credit for my work until you do.

Be well.

Related Canada Law Questions