How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101005
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****, and speeding, On my way back from

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** *****, and speeding
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: On my way back from mont-tremblant (I live in Ottawa) the speed limit drops from 90 to 50 in Notre dame de la paix. As I saw the 50 sign I laid my foot off gas to coast down to the acceptable limit. Maybe within 100m of the 50 sign the office was there and said he clocked me at 80. Pulled me over and gave me 30 over 2 points and 194$ fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question would be if
1. I would have any grounds for defense in court to drop the charge
2. Would it be possible to push the court date of apr 11 since I was going to drop of high risk insurance in June but this ticket will put me back in
3. If I plead guilty with explanation and try to talk to the crown for a lesser fine what could I expect
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It is not a defence that you could not slow down in time when you saw the sign.

You can seek an adjournment if you provide a good reason that you cannot attend.

You can likely make a deal with the Crown and plead guilty to a lesser speed with less or no points as the Crown will want to avoid a trial.

So you would plead not guilty and then try and make a deal in Court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response, What would be a good reason I cannot attend? And if I request disclosure and officers notes would that matter or they would keep the same date
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are not available for that date? You have an appointment?

The date would be the same most likely buy you can try that and see what happens.