How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an abusive adult son living with me. He doesn't work

Customer Question

Hi. I have an abusive adult son living with me. He doesn't work or help with anything. He acts so angry, stomping around the house breaking things, sometimes I'm hostage in my room for fear. If I leave, I'll need to pay rent somewhere else and will lose our house. Is there a legal way to have him removed?
I've read that the police will say that he had the right to be this way.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

What province are you in?

How old is your son?

You say "our house", who is on title to the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Alberta. My son is 38. Title in mine
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

So you want him out of your home, which makes sense. What will the downsides be? Is he paying rent or contributing to bills? Is there anything holding you back from getting him out?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I only ask because if you invoke your rights as property owner, that's taking a pretty firm stand with a family member. I'm not encouraging you to live in fear, but this process once started would be hard to undo.

If you really want him to change his behaviour, is there any other family member aware of the situation who might be able to intervene?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I'm still here if you want to discuss this of your son in your home. If you have found your help or information elsewhere, that's fine. Don't forget about your deposit to the site (if you made one).


Related Canada Law Questions