How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99929
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Ontario and I am married. I am planning to buy a

Customer Question

I live in Ontario and I am married. I am planning to buy a house in Ontario and I would like to know what happens if one of us passes away. How does the ownership changes and what are the rights of the surviving spouse. What happenes if I have kids from another marriage.. Can they take a share of my house after I pass away or it will be completely transferred to my surviving wife.
I would like to understand the law so I can make the right decision.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Is there a separation agreement that deals with your estate ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Agreement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to also know what are the recommendations in my case and Do I need to write a will to decide how my estate will be shared ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
First, everyone should have a will. It doesn't make sense not to do a will. It will not cost very much and it leaves the people behind in a much better position who don't have to spend more time and money than is necessary.If you hold title as tenants in common then your half of the house will vest in your estate at the time of your death, presuming that you die first.If you hold the title as joint tenants and then title will vest in the surviving spouse. Your former spouse does not have any claim to any of these assets that you acquired after separation. Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ... I am interested in knowing what my kids from my previous marriage are entitled for in both ownership cases ( Tenants in common) or ( Joint tenants).
Another question will be , Does ( tenants in common) offer financial immunity for my spouse in case I have claims against my personal assets? Will my debtors come after her part of the house ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The kids are not entitled to anything you don't leave the in a Will.

They would only have a claim to a portion of your estate if there is no Will.

In that case if the house as we discussed if the house is held as joint tenants the house does not form part of your estate.

In terms of debtors, either way they can only seek your half of the equity in your house.

Related Canada Law Questions