Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I purchase two round trip tickets to LAX back in April 2015

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I purchase two round trip tickets to LAX back in April 2015 for a cost of about $1,900. In Jan 2016, I changed the date of the outbound flight and paid another $426 in change fees. When I arrived at YYZ to check in, the agent checked me in and provided boarding passes. We were, however denied boarding at the gate because the gate agent said that our tickets had been refunded. Problem was that I never applied for a refund or even received one. As a result, I missed my meetings and pre-booked transfer at LAX. I have written to Air Canada on line and by mail about this but they don't answer.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No...actually I am a retired corporate lawyer and was planning to sue them in small claims court. Problem is that I don't know which court to sue them in because I can't seem to find an office address. I live in Richmond Hill and was hoping to use that court, but if need be and their is an Air Canada office at the airport in Toronto, I can sue them in Peel region. I do need however an address for service. Can you help?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: That's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can sue the in the jurisdiction with the closest ties.

So that could be where you live, where their head office is, where you were when you entered into the contract to buy the tickets etc.

I suggest choosing which is most convenient for you and see what they do.

I would be shocked if you weren't simply offered a settlement at once. I cannot see then wanting to go to court for this at all.