I am a paramedic and CUpe873 is my Union. Another paramedic…

Customer Question
I am a paramedic and...
I am a paramedic and CUpe873 is my Union. Another paramedic assaulted me in 2014 on the job. In October of 2014 I asked for Union Representation and they finally filed a grievance 3.03 and 31:03 in October 2015. I am still waiting for ANY action to take place. The IMPARTIAL investigation should have happened shortly after the grievance was filed 3:04. My President of the Executive has constantly played emails games, and NO ONE from the highest level of CUPE will respond to my telephone messages or emails. I have 24 yrs of service and as a result of this assault, and lack of support from my Union and the cover up and lies from my employer the PTSD I was diagnosed with in 2014 is getting worse. I TRY to live on $906 a month, the Law Centre will not take on my case because of the duration it may take. What are my next steps. Lisa
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/23/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Do you understand the law in terms of what your options are or is that what you are asking about?

I want to know what can I do if my Union continues to not follow our Collective Agreement at all levels of the Union

Your union owes you a duty of fair representation. If they fail to represent you fairly they could be liable to you for damages.

Therefore, your next step would be to consult with a labour lawyer face to face with a view to getting advice about how best to file a complaint of unfair representation with the labour board.

Does that answer your question?

thank you

You are very welcome.

As we are done please rate me before you leave so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take good care.