I've recently moved to the U.S. (July 2014) and working on a…

Customer Question
I've recently moved to the...
I've recently moved to the U.S. (July 2014) and working on a TN Visa. I am now a non-resident and I have no plans to return to Canada. I am also completing a divorce settlement. My ex-wife lives in the Caribbean. I've discovered that my accountant, who has retired, made some major mistakes in my accounting for tax purposes to the amount of around $150,000. This may be as high as $250,000 when 2014 and 2015 is completed. CRA has since seized my cottage in Quebec, to hold back on these taxes.
My question, since a divorce can greatly reduce your net worth, what are the implications if I declare a personal bankruptcy. Can I do this if I now live in the U.S.? Can CRA take any action against me here in the U.S.? How does this affect my credit score in the United States if I am basically starting all over again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
3/23/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Are you saying you may owe more than the cottage is worth?