How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100395
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a very upsetting problem family, but is there a

Customer Question

This is a very upsetting problem for a family, but is there a solution to it? We have a grand-daughter who 4 years ago turned her back on the family and as far as we can see, she will be always estranged to us. In the event of her father's passing, is it mandatory that all his worldly possessions would become hers or is there a possibility that a will could be made to assign perhaps a portion of inheritance to her but not all? Would the courts allow this? To clarify, the situation is a single father with one child, an estranged daughter.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

He does not have to leave her his entire estate. And while it is difficult to disinherit a child it is possible to do so if there are good reasons.

If the daughter is the one who decided not to have a relationship with her father then if the father leaves his estate to others the court may find that under the circumstances this is OK.

The father should be sure to have a lawyer draft his Will as the lawyer will know what to put in the Will to ensure the court understands what happened and accepts his reasons as valid.

Related Canada Law Questions