How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MontrealLawyer Your Own Question
MontrealLawyer, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 1
Experience:  Experience in criminal, business and commercial law both in private practice and in-house.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
MontrealLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can an Individual be charged with Parental Interference in a

Customer Question

Can an Individual be charged with Parental Interference for taking in a 14 year old runaway when the parent does not agree?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  MontrealLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm a criminal defence lawyer practising in Québec.

To answer your question briefly, it is a crime in Canada to harbour a runaway minor. If you allow a minor child to stay with you without reporting the child to the police, there is a high likelihood you will be charged with the criminal offence of harbouring a runaway minor and face all the consequences possible under the Criminal Code of Canada.

Unfortunately, a minor does not have the right to leave their parent's home until they have reached the age of 18 or obtained legal emancipation.

I would strongly suggest, that if you, or someone you know, are harbouring a runaway minor, to report the runaway to the local police and your local youth protection service, unless you are willing to risk criminal charges brought up against you, once the minor is discovered to have stayed in your house.

Expert:  MontrealLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello, can you please leave a rating on the answer I gave you. Thank you.