Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was diagnosed with PTSD in April of 2014. I have not

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with PTSD in April of 2014. I have not worked since that date and during this time I have been on medical claim unemployment insurance, then LTD now I am on a WSIB claim. On Monday my transitional back to work specialist and 2 mangers from the CSC all agreed that due to my medical limitations it was time for me to move on and WSIB are putting a plan for me to do this. I turned 55 on March 3 2016 and I was wondering if I could draw my CPP earlier than 60 because of my diagnoses of PTSD/mental illness?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you aware that there are CPP disability benefits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are likely entitled to CPP disability which can go on until you reach the age of retirement and then it would stop.

CPP disability benefits would not reduce the retirement benefits you would be eligible for a bit down the road.

I suggest you contact CPP and ask about how this works and what your next steps are.