How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100449
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friends of ours are going through a divorce- they have a

Customer Question

Hello, friends of ours are going through a divorce- they have a landscape business together, we paid the husband for the landscape work he did- he had us pay by money order in the name of his friend, I got a receipt and signature from the husband anyway so that I had confirmed document from the husband that the work was paid in full-he signed it paid in full. Later on I had to show the wife that the work was paid in full and give her a copy of the signed receipt from the husband as she was taking him to court and divorce. Now its going to court-we don't want to be involved in their divorce proceedings any more- we have since moved-they want to summons us to court to speak on behalf of the wife to show the husband tried to hide the proceeds of the work he did for us away from the wife. We have since moved do we have to send them our new address so they can send the summons or can I avoid it- I have a new job and cant take time off work for this nonsense! Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

There is no way to avoid it. If you are subpoenaed you must appear of course and it doesn't make sense not to give your new address because you will clearly be found shortly anyway.

As well, just do you don't feel like you will be wasting your time, it's not nonsense. You are going to be a witness in a serious case that will have serious and consequences for both parties so it is not going to be considered nonsense for either party.

Does that help?

Related Canada Law Questions