How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101450
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a gym membership when I lived in Calgary with World

Customer Question

I had a gym membership when I lived in Calgary with World Health and I moved to BC over a year ago and was advised by friends and family to leave my account with them unpaid as they can't do anything to affect my credit rating because it's "illegal" for them to charge me when I moved out of province to a place where they do not offer their services.
I just recently received an email and a call from a Calgary-based credit agency looking for the amount I owe to be paid to them from World Health.
I am wondering at this point if I should continue to avoid paying them, if I should pay them or if there is a better alternative.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Whoever told you that it is illegal for them to charge you is completely incorrect. You entered into a contract with them and the only time you would not have to pay them is if they ceased providing their services by closing down.

Your moving away doesn't mean you can get out of a firm contract.

I don't know if they are going to sue you or not but they can most assuredly harm your credit rating because they will have account with Equifax and TransUnion and they will report this is an unpaid debt.