Signed a five year lease retail mens clothing store in a…

Customer Question
Signed a five year lease...
Signed a five year lease for my retail mens clothing store in a mall redevelopment with promise of a phase 2 that would have more retail stores and a hotel catering to our clientele. Now seven months into the lease the redevelopment has completely changed and they are putting phase two into a apartment and excercise studio leaving us as the only retail in the complex with no draw for our target audience. I don't have an anchor tenant clause but everything they told to get me to sign the lease has been a lie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Just wondering if I can legally get out of this lease now?
3/12/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Are you saying that you were misrepresented and would not have signed the lease had they told you the truth about their intentions?

I believe their intent emotions were to build the hotel and retail shopping center but I just read in the newspaper that they have decided to go a different way due to the downturn in alberta'a economy and are now building an apartment and sports complex as opposed to the hotel and retail shopping centre I was presented when I signed my lease. Leaving us as the only retail in the centre.
Their intent initially

Is there anything in your lease that talks about the retail shopping centre?

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor