How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Copperlaw Your Own Question
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2016
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Copperlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently living in California, but I own a car that I

Customer Question

I am currently living in California, but I own a car that I bought in BC, which has BC plates in my name, and still has insurance coverage until March 25th. I drove the car up to Victoria, BC, at the end of December last year, in order to sell it to my friend. I gave him all the documents I had, including the pink slip, and told him to register it under his name and turn in my plates.
However, he never followed through with the deal, and is currently driving the car with my plates. He refuses to turn in the plates. I called ICBC and they told me that even after my insurance expires, if he continues driving my car and gets into an accident, I will be held responsible. I would go there in person to try to get my car back, but I can't afford to make the trip there. ICBC said that there is nothing I can do to absolve myself of the responsibility for the car, unless I go there in person.
I would like to know what would be the best course of action for me to take to absolve myself of responsibility for whatever my friend is doing with my car. I was thinking about telling the police that he stole it, since he never paid me anything for it, but technically I gave it to him. He refuses to cooperate, so I don't care about any consequences he might face. I gave him plenty of chances. What do you think I should do? Thank you very much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I would be happy to assist you.

Please DO NOT report it as stolen as this could seriously backfire on you and you could end up being charged criminally for making a false report.

As the owner of the vehicle, upon transferring ownership, you have an obligation to remove the plates from the vehicle. This is the sticking point that ICBC is falling back on. If you've not taken this action, then they have no other evidence to corroborate the fact that the car was sold. There's no transaction, no bill of sale, no new registration and it still bears your plate. Therefore, there's nothing to prove you are not the owner and are not permitting the vehicle to be driven.

So ultimately, your only recourse is to get those plates off the vehicle. If you know anyone in the Victoria area, why don't you see if they will recover the plates for you. Send them a letter that you sign, that they can carry with them if questioned by the police and have them take the plates of the car.

Alternatively, you could hire a private investigator to do the same thing for you.

At the end of the day, you need to get those plates off of that car.

I look forward to hearing back from you so that we may chat further.


Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you require anything else at all.


Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

I see that you were back in and viewed my response however I do not see a reply from you.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or if you need anything further at all.

Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating so that I can be credited for the time that I have spent with you.


Related Canada Law Questions