How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My issue is regarding my cottage. My neighbour has asked me

Customer Question

My issue is regarding my cottage. My neighbour has asked me to move my cistern and my sidewalk that is encroaching on his property by about 4 to 6 inches. I bought this property in 2003, and up until last year it didn't seem to be a problem. The cistern and sidewalk have been there for a long time. The letter that I received today from his lawyer, says that they will commence a superior court action seeking an injunction to remove my cistern and sidewalk. I do have title insurance and was told by title insurance that I would need his complain in writing and a copy of a survey showing the encroachments. Both the neighbour and the lawyer know this. They do not have a survey.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry, my name is Susan.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

How do they know you are encroaching without a survey?

What province is this please?

Do you know what land registry system you are under?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This Ontario. They put just the survey markers in last summer. I think it is Land Titles Conversion. Does that make sense.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Who put the survey markers in and how could that be done without a survey?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want a live call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A survey company put the markers in. The used the permeates monuments. I know there are old surveys of my cottage from the late 70s. Put they don't show the cistern. The siding on the cottage is different also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I meant permanent monuments.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke with the surveyor. And they didn't do a new survey on paper, just the red tips wooden stakes.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So don't you have the old survey then?

I just don't understand how they could put in survey pegs without some survey.

Do you know how long the cistern and sidewalk have been in place?

Related Canada Law Questions