Ontario - The Applicant (A) and Respondent (R) are separated…

Customer Question
Ontario - The Applicant (A)...
Ontario - The Applicant (A) and Respondent (R) are separated and going through court. At issue is a private mortgage with A's parents (P) which R claims is invalid. R therefore adds P to the case as Added Respondents. P wants nothing to do with the case and initiates a Motion for Summary Judgement on the mortgage and files the Notice for Motion and Affidavit. R files the responding materials and will question P about their affidavit and would also like to question A to help his case as A stands to benefit if P succeeds in their Summary Judgement. What legal right has R to question A? Can R summon A to answer questions related to P's affidavit or to confirm R's own affidavit? Does R need to serve P's Motion material to A along with its response material? Does R require a form to summons A?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Any party to the proceeding has the right to cross examine on any affidavit relating to the proceeding so R can cross-examine A if A has filed an Affidavit for the motion.

If A has not file any affidavit then there is nothing to be cross-examined on and R can only defend the application for Summary Judgment by putting all evidence in R's Affidavit.

R does not have to serve A with P's motion material. R doesn't have to serve P with the response either unless A has become involved in the motion and filed materials.

I thought I had read somewhere in all the legal material I've looked at but can not currently find again, that a party can cross-examine any other party involved in the case that is to benefit from the filed affidavit. In other words if A benefits if P wins then A is also subject to questioning of P's affidavit especially when A was involved in the matters discussed in the affidavit. Is there a web site that discusses Summary Judgement procedures in more detail when involving Added Respondents?

I am going to opt out and let another expert step in who may know more about this issue.