How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100434
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pension share law after seperated, Am was in a common law

Customer Question

Doug ,pension share for common law after seperated
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Am was in a common law relationship for 18 years we are now separated, a binding JDR gave me half her pension ,but her pension company say I am not entitled
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for requesting me.

What province is this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

In Alberta an order pursuant to a JDR is an order by the Court and is fully binding.

If your former spouse will not do what is necessary to sign off so you get half the pension in accordance with the order you will need to return to court.

The JDR order is binding on your former spouse but is not an order against the Pension Plan which is what you may need to get if your former spouse will not co-operate.

Related Canada Law Questions