How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99925
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 31 yr old male dating an 17 yr old girl from last 8

Customer Question

i am 31 yr old male dating an 17 yr old girl from last 8 months. When she is 16 years 6 months we started meeting online and exchanged numbers we were talking for 4 months and we fell love in each other. after there parents came to know and they took her phone away. then she came out and use to contact me from outside phones. Still she was showing same love to me and told me to take me away from family as she was not happy with her parents. I convinced her and told to be patient and i texted her mom that me and her daughter loves each other and i am not doing it for any sexual benefit. she was ok with me too and we used to do skype and interact with full family. i was keeping touch with her family especially with her mom for 2 months. Suddenly when she turn 17 in the last 2 months her parents changed and they want to seperate us. first that girl listened to them and she changed and said bye to me. but again after two days she called me and said sorry to me and she wants me forever and she cannot live without me for ever. she wants to marry me. now my question was i came to vancouver and we met once. after meeting me the girl said please i want to be with you atleast for couple of days and if possbile i will marry u now. i said to her as per law i cannot marry you when you are under 18. Then she said iam allowed to date i am 17 plus plleaase alow me to stay with you. then i said ok if your parents file a case or call cops what should i do then she said i will write a letter before leaving and say to them i need time to be alone and break with my parents so u wont get any problem. so can i legally stay with her 9 months in relation as common law and can i get marry her when she turns 18.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking if your girlfriend who is 17 can legally move out of her house and live with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live in toronto and now i came to vancouver for some time. i met her once and now she is forcing me that i want to stay atleasst couple of days with you. if we cannot marry and take me right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello are you there
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The law in BC is quite different from the law in Ontario. In Ontario a child of 16 can move out of her home. And in Ontario the age of majority is 18.

In BC a child does not have the legal right to move out of her home until she is 19. And the age of majority is 19. She cannot get married without a court order until she is 19 without the parent's permission.

If she moves out to live with you then her parents no longer have to support her at all.

As well, if her parents or someone else reports her to child protection services they can seek a court order to protect her and require her to live in a secure and safe environment until she is 19.

Please refrain from asking me if I am there. I am not a computer generating a response but a lawyer typing. If you want an answer in under two minutes you need to go elsewhere as here you get full and responsible answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir to meet her and to date her now can create a problem to me ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No but to live with her can create enormous problems for her, at the least.

And what you should also know is that if she leaves her parents for you, you will have to support her because how else will she manage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ready to take care of her 100%. i am not going to cheat or leave her. i want to marry her when she turns to get marriage age. but now she is forcing me that i will stay with you atleast for couple of days and i will go ho home after that. if my parents are not happy with me i will leave house completely. Now can i stay with her?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Her parents will likely call child protection services.

The point really is that from a legal point of view in BC your girlfriend is considered to be a child.

And it is not considered safe for a child to leave home in most cases.

So if there parents want her at home the authorities in BC will step in.

This is going to harm her and possibly harm you.

And then if you leave in a few days what will then become of her?

She can end up in a secured group home against her will.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ya i understood if her parents dont want her to be with them anyway. i will take her to toronto. Even now she is saying if you think you will get a problem when i stay with you couple of days in vancouver.i am ready to come to toronto with you. i am also ready to take care of her.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you take her to Toronto you may very well be in serious trouble.

You don't have the legal right to take a child from her home, out of the province, across the country.

You could be charged.

You have to understand that she doesn't have the legal right to consent to be moved to Toronto. It could be considered to be an abduction.

You need to consult with your own lawyer at this point as this is getting to be a very serious and highly risky situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok sir thanks for letting me know about these.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

If you feel we are done please rate me before you leave so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is their any lawyer to get legal advice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where you can suggests me
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:

(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.

Related Canada Law Questions