How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100046
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a Policeman contacts me and tells me a friend of mine

Customer Question

If a Policeman contacts me and tells me a friend of mine after a heated conversation she has talked to them and the Officer had then told me by phone not to contact that person any longer if I did I would be charged with harassment. I am confused. From time to time my friend and is not a girl friend. We have had a misunderstanding on both parts from time to time but always blew over in a few days. I am confused. Do I take this cops comments as it is or is there any way to find out what happened and would there be a no contact order? He said if I contact her in any way I will be charged with harassment. I am very concerned because although my extreme bipolar friend does tend to take most things to extreme and have extreme mood shifts. I admit did text a few nasty things bad things I said that I feel awful about and I did immediate apology with regret what I had said. I have accepted her big shifts this way. This is really upsetting me as she is struggling woman with a 5 year old daughter who I help out financially when I can over the last 3 years. he does not work due to her illness and have offered her a job and help get her life in order. What can I do to get further info or understanding as to why this is happening? I am extremely concerned. I want to chat with her even if supervised to see if she was coheres or if she accidentally went to far as per Police advise or if she indeed is her wishes and I will move on. I still want to even help her financially from time to time help her out if nothing else. A bit of further info. She is currently a resident for about 10 months at the Brenda Stafford society for battered women. I helped here out of a bad situation where she was put into hospital by her former boyfriend. I was instrumental in getting her from the bad situation into be care facilities. Would this be a partial motive for the Police pushing her? Please let me know what I can do or provide the name of a Lawyer I can contact in Calgary. I need answers. I do not want to end this friendship and clear up a misunderstanding. I need answers as to what can be done, rather than just say oh well move on. I have invested 3 years into trying to improve the life of this person. We all make mistakes. This is very saddening to me. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You should absolutely not speak to her yourself.

You can tell the police about her mental health issues and ask if they will agree to let you speak to her with their being present or else with a staff member a the shelter being present and only if she agrees.

If not you can retain a lawyer to speak to the police for you and perhaps then the police will try and facilitate your being able to contact her, at least possibly just once and in writing.

But you must be very careful as you can end up with a criminal record which would be very serious to have to shoulder for years to come.

To find a lawyer you can You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

***-***-**** in Calgary

Related Canada Law Questions