Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I left the company I managed in December. I had knowledge of

Customer Question

I left the company I managed in December. I had knowledge of all financial and operational issues. I met one of my former employees for lunch and when the owner found out he died her. She is pursuing action for wrongful dismissal. He is saying that during discovery they will ask for all text communication and phone records between me and her.
I am not involved in the legal proceeding.
Can this be provided without my agreement? Is this not a violation of my privacy?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear this.

No, this has nothing to do with your privacy rights. They are not taking private information from you. They are asking for information that she has. If she participated in the text messaging or emails she has every right and possibly every obligation to produce all those communications.

when she received any email or text message she is essentially owner of that message.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I'm sorry that you may find yourself in a difficult situation because of this but this is the correct and accurate answer.