Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I just have a quick question, a baileff has sent me a text

Customer Question

I just have a quick question, a baileff has sent me a text that there are some papers to be served to me and refusing to accept them will incur additional court costs. Are the costs going to be passed upon to me or the sender?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: It is involving the custody of a child for which the mother would like to be declared the sole care giver. A paternity test still remains to be performed to determine if this child is mine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you try and avoid service this will harm you and not the mother.

First, you will be shown to be unco-operative in court.

Second, the sender will be able to get a court order to serve you in an alternative way and you will also get stuck with the costs the mother incurs in getting this order.

Finally, if you end up in Court and the mother wins you will have to pay her costs and these will be higher because of your actions.

It is highly inadvisable to try and avoid service.