How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101011
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a uk citizen and my boyfriend is Canadian what would be

Customer Question

Hey I'm a uk citizen and my boyfriend is Canadian what would be the best way for us to get married? U.K. Or Canada and roughly how long will it take xx
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can get married where ever you like.

There are no residency requirements in terms of getting married in Canada and so you and your boyfriend would just apply for a marriage licence in the city you want to get married in and it would just take a few days to get processed.

The only delay would be if you were divorced before. Then you would need to get a legal opinion from a family lawyer that states that the divorce was valid so that you could get the licence. That letter could be done in a day by a family lawyer.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.