I'm a uk citizen and my boyfriend is Canadian what would be…

Customer Question
Hey I'm a uk citizen...
Hey I'm a uk citizen and my boyfriend is Canadian what would be the best way for us to get married? U.K. Or Canada and roughly how long will it take xx
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
3/4/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

You can get married where ever you like.

There are no residency requirements in terms of getting married in Canada and so you and your boyfriend would just apply for a marriage licence in the city you want to get married in and it would just take a few days to get processed.

The only delay would be if you were divorced before. Then you would need to get a legal opinion from a family lawyer that states that the divorce was valid so that you could get the licence. That letter could be done in a day by a family lawyer.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.