Just looking legal clause to auto renew a contract year

Customer Question
Just looking for a...

Just looking for a legal clause to auto renew a contract for another year term.

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

I am beinging a consulting agreement with a company (employment contractor) and it was agreeded that the contract can auto renew each year unless appropriate notice (90 days) is given prior to the end of the current term.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?

That durring the contract trial period (3 months) any disputes arise that cannot be resolved, the client will need to extend a direct employment offer to the contractor.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/3/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am not following. . Are you saying you are the person that is going to draft agreement and want to add in the clause ?

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

No problem, I understand. Basically this is the situation.I run a managed IT service business and one of my clients (after 5 Years of service) wants to hire a full time person to be the Director of IT. We are going to provide them this person as a contractor on a trial basis.Apart of the agreement is that there is a trial phase to ensure the contract will work out for all three parties involved. This trial period last three months. If the trial completes without disputes, the contract will remain in full effect and should auto renew every year on the anniversary of the contract start date. Both parties should be able to cancel the contract with appropriate notice (90 days). If the contract is disputed in the first three months both sides due to conflicts of interest will attempt to resolve and if no resolution is found, the client must offer a direct employment offer to the person they are hiring. ( basically hire them full time and terminate the agreement with my company.) We are ultimately looking to protect the interests of the person becoming the full time Director of IT.
We need an example clause for auto renewal part of the agreement.

We can only provide legal information and not advice and we cannot actually practice law online so we cannot do clauses.

I will opt out in case another lawyer believes it is OK to do this.