How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101440
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. $6500 is 30 days overdue of a $20000

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** . $6500 is 30 days overdue of a $20000 paint job from a home builder we did work for . When asked about it he said that there are issues and he and the homeowner are not happy with the quality of the work . When asked , what are the issues I have not gotten any response . All this is by text 2 weeks ago after I texted about payment. He will not answer his phone or call me . We were there last to do touch ups Jan 21st. I will be placing a lien on the property Thursday . What is the next step ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what u r asking ?? When asked to discuss the issues , I haven't got any response .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

What province are you in please?

When did you substantially complete the work, exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alberta , Jan 21st ,2016
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

In Alberta, you can register a builders lien on title so long as you do so within 45 days of having substantially completed the work.

Then, with another 180 days you have to start a lawsuit, obtain a certificate of pending litigation from the court office when you start tge lawsuit, and register that on title as well.

Your next step should be either to send a letter threatening to do this at once and or you should retain your own lawyer to assist you with respect to registering the lien on title.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've placed a lien before so can do that myself . Can I lein a house he built in the same subdivision that he is trying to sell ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Legally , I know I can't but what will be the consequences ? Might get a faster response ??
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

There is no legal basis to do that. You would have to file a false affidavit which is perjury.