How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100428
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received the notice to forward my file to legal

Customer Question

I just received the notice to forward my file to legal counsel from Diamond Parking stating that I have an unpaid ticket on Nov/10/2015 and the total amount to pay is $117.15.
The thing is I didn't remember receiving a ticket on that date and I ignored the collection letters afterwards.
The stated payment is already past due because I was away and didn't check my mail box. So what should I do now? Can they actually sue me for this? If they could sue me, what's my next move would be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Have you told them you did not receive a ticket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, because I researched online and people saying don't give them a call because it will just give them more personal information.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can call without giving personal information or you can ignore them.

It is most likely that they will go away.

They are not going to sue for this small amount of money.

However, it is possible that they will file a report with the credit bureaus and this can harm your credit rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything I can do right now to save my credit rating?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can tell them you don't recall getting the ticket and unless they can prove it if they harm your credit rating you will sue them for damages.

You can send a letter to the effect as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How should I write the letter? Is there anything I should pay attention to?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can write "without prejudice" on top of the letter and then state that you have no knowledge of the ticket, you will sue them if they harm your credit rating and that you do not wish to be harassed.

Related Canada Law Questions