How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100351
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

WE LIVE QUEBEC MY Father recently remarried after my mother

Customer Question

MY Father recently remarried after my mother pass away
When my father passes away he want to take care of his new wife until she passes.
My father doesn't want any money left over to go to his wife kids.
he want the money left over to come back to his family.
both of his kids are in agreement with his decision.
he doesn't have a trust set in place.
how can we assure this happens.
thank you *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Your father should consult with a local estate lawyer who can help him draft a Will that will ensure that his new spouse is taken care of during her lifetime but the estate then goes to you.

What can be done, just by way of example, is that your father can give his new spouse a life interest in the house which means she lives there until her death or until she wants to move out but the house is never owned by her, rather it goes to you and your sibling.

Does that clarify what needs to be done?

Related Canada Law Questions