WE LIVE QUEBEC MY Father recently remarried after my mother…

Customer Question
WE LIVE QUEBEC MY Father recently...
WE LIVE QUEBEC
MY Father recently remarried after my mother pass away
When my father passes away he want to take care of his new wife until she passes.
My father doesn't want any money left over to go to his wife kids.
he want the money left over to come back to his family.
both of his kids are in agreement with his decision.
he doesn't have a trust set in place.
how can we assure this happens.
thank you *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Your father should consult with a local estate lawyer who can help him draft a Will that will ensure that his new spouse is taken care of during her lifetime but the estate then goes to you.

What can be done, just by way of example, is that your father can give his new spouse a life interest in the house which means she lives there until her death or until she wants to move out but the house is never owned by her, rather it goes to you and your sibling.

Does that clarify what needs to be done?

Debra, Lawyer