How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100481
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a Canadian living in Florida and currently have a

Customer Question

I'm a Canad***** *****ving in Florida and currently have a lawsuit in the United States. I have a home in Ontario and would like to know what kind of protection I would have in the event of a judgment, if I were to put the home in a company name or my spouses name would that give me protection.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No. Unfortunately, that would not help. In Canada that would be considered fraud. The transfer of title would also be set aside.

In Canada there is no way to protect assets from creditors or if you are being sued. There is specific legislation that prohibits those transfers to be fraudulent conveyances. In Canada assets can only be protected before there is a claim or a possible claim or before there are creditors that could be claiming the asset.

I'm sorry to have to give this bad news.

Related Canada Law Questions