How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100995
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I divorced my husband I surrendered my 10% shares in s

Customer Question

When I divorced my husband I surrendered my 10% shares in his company. Last year I was sent a T5 slip saying he had paid me $28,000 in dividends during 2014. I did not receive that money. Rev. Can reassessed my income tax to include this money in 2014. I am receiving benefits from the Government to help with my income. They said I would have to pay all money received in 2014 back, as well as cut off the benefits I usually receive. I registered a complaint with Revenue Canada, but they have not connected with me yet.
Last Friday I received ANOTHER T5 slip saying they paid me ANOTHER $28,000 in 2015!! I have no proof how they came up with this amount or why. I can't get any help or direction from anyone. I am 71 years old and have little money. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You should retain an accountant who can deal with the CRA on your behalf. You can have the accountant tell the CRA that these T5 slips are fraudulent as you do not ever get the income.

You are suffering tremendously because your former spouse is using this as a means to reduce his income and so reduce his taxes and then you are being stuck paying taxes on money you do not receive and you will lose benefits.

If this doesn't work out your next step would be to sue your former spouse for damages. But, once CRA recognizes that this is fraudulent they will no doubt reassess your former spouse likely for many years back and will also rectify the situation with you.