Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

When I divorced my husband I surrendered my 10% shares in s

Customer Question

When I divorced my husband I surrendered my 10% shares in his company. Last year I was sent a T5 slip saying he had paid me $28,000 in dividends during 2014. I did not receive that money. Rev. Can reassessed my income tax to include this money in 2014. I am receiving benefits from the Government to help with my income. They said I would have to pay all money received in 2014 back, as well as cut off the benefits I usually receive. I registered a complaint with Revenue Canada, but they have not connected with me yet.
Last Friday I received ANOTHER T5 slip saying they paid me ANOTHER $28,000 in 2015!! I have no proof how they came up with this amount or why. I can't get any help or direction from anyone. I am 71 years old and have little money. What can I do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You should retain an accountant who can deal with the CRA on your behalf. You can have the accountant tell the CRA that these T5 slips are fraudulent as you do not ever get the income.

You are suffering tremendously because your former spouse is using this as a means to reduce his income and so reduce his taxes and then you are being stuck paying taxes on money you do not receive and you will lose benefits.

If this doesn't work out your next step would be to sue your former spouse for damages. But, once CRA recognizes that this is fraudulent they will no doubt reassess your former spouse likely for many years back and will also rectify the situation with you.