How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100934
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Alberta and have been divorced years. My former

Customer Question

I live in Alberta and have been divorced for 5 years. My former husband took the matrimonial debt of 40,000.00 at that time. I now have our child the majority of the time and have just been to a dispute resolution officer in an attempt to get child support for my daughter. I have not received any child support in the past 14 months. The mediator stated I could not receive child support due to the fact that he assumed the matrimonial debt. This seems very odd to me? How can debt from 5 years ago affect what he pays today?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This is simply a nonsensical thing to tell you. It has no foundation in law. It is simply 100% wrong and it is shocking that you were told this.

You cannot consider using this mediator as the mediator doesn't understand family law

I am sorry this happened to you.