Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My former employer is attempting to have me sign a

Customer Question

My former employer is attempting to have me sign a confidential release and separation agreement . What are my rights ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So are you saying that you want to accept the counter offer but are worried about signing the release?

Is there no one else at the law firm who can assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm considering accepting the counter offer but am worried that my former employer could possibly "defamate" or "slander" my character when prospective employers contact them to verify my employment with them. No there is no one else right at the moment to assist me ..Can I customize my release ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can try and do you own release but they won't accept it most likely and as well as you are not a lawyer you will not be able to do it correctly.

And you are right, you also need some agreement signed that protects you.

I suggest that you tell them you are likely going to accept the offer but cannot sign anything until your lawyer returns.