How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99992
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father does not speak and read english and one of s

Customer Question

My father does not speak and read english and one of his fellow asked him to sign
some paperwork. his fellow said it is passport related paperwork so without any doubt he signed the paper but after a while, my father realized it might not be the passport related.
so now what can he do? if the paper could be used to loan any money, my father is responsible for that? if the paper is used for any bad purpose is my father responsible for?
since he signed it? He will held any responsible for his signature? can my father sue his fellow to take his signature back?
My next question is is there title trust in Saskatchewan? How long it will take to process?
How to do that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I'm not able to answer two separate questions on this post. I will deal with the first question.

Do you know who provided him with the document that he signed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of his friend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one of his friend just visited and ask my father to sign it
he said it is passport guarantor signature
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So what you can do is ask the friend to show you what your father signed. You can say that your father didn't understand what he signed and that you are worried that he signed something that may harm him later.

But it is very possible that is was just a passport guarantor that your father did sign and if the friend says that is all it said then what you can do is send the friend a letter confirming that all your father signed was a passport guarantor and nothing more.

If he co-signed a loan then he could likely prove that he is a victim of fraud and have the agreement that he signed set aside.

Related Canada Law Questions