I wanted to know if I grieve a situation to which I an

Customer Question
currently suspended with pay until...
I wanted to know if I grieve a situation to which I an currently suspended with pay until further notice. I am an Loss Prevention Officer in Alberta and had a Theft in Progress with a male. The company has a "No touch Policy" I was in a situation where the pert did leave but stood into a corner. Long story short, I took down and restrained the male until police arrived and arrested the male. The officer did recover a knife from his waistband which he could not get to. I was notified by my supv that I shall be contacted again and a meeting to be held. I spoke to a friend in the same industry and she said it was a good call for safety of not only self but of other staff and customers. She said for me not to sign anything until consult with a Labor Lawyer. I have been serving this company for over 21 years and could lose the Pension ? Please advise, as emotional stressed
Thank you for your time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/18/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Are you in a union? You mention grieving but some use the term incorrectly.

We are non-union although it is a Union environment I work in. I wanted advice in the event it leads to termination and lose all that was accumulated

Your legal right is to have a full investigation which includes the right to have your story heard and your being able to fully answer to any allegations made against you.

You also have the right to a fair decision making process which means that people who are not at all biased must make the decision about how you should be disciplined, if at all.

If you are not afforded these rights then the decision-making process is not fair and you can sue for damages.

Does that answer your question?

Answer helps somewhat. I will know better tomorrow as had a call from my Supervisor. Meeting will be held tomorrow at 2 pm. I spoke to another friend and she contacted her HR person. Advice was that they will likely try to package you out, but not to sign anything. The issue has to be the third on file with same issue and this is only the second. To get hold of a Labor Lawyer to review package first and foremost. I should first inquire about my Pension and how or who to obtain it. Then to take package to read it over with Counsel. Bare minimal is 8 weeks and any holidays(6 weeks this year) accrued to be paid out. Wish me luck please

I most assuredly do wish you the best of luck.

Unfortunately , if they are saying that you are being dismissed for cause you are not entitled to any termination pay and so you will need to retain a lawyer if that is the case because you are going to have to sue them.

Please write me now since I can use your credit for my work.

Let me know what happens. The post does not lock even after you rate me so you can easily reply back again without any charge of course.

Debra, Lawyer