How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101379
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to know if I grieve a situation to which I an

Customer Question

I wanted to know if I grieve a situation to which I an currently suspended with pay until further notice. I am an Loss Prevention Officer in Alberta and had a Theft in Progress with a male. The company has a "No touch Policy" I was in a situation where the pert did leave but stood into a corner. Long story short, I took down and restrained the male until police arrived and arrested the male. The officer did recover a knife from his waistband which he could not get to. I was notified by my supv that I shall be contacted again and a meeting to be held. I spoke to a friend in the same industry and she said it was a good call for safety of not only self but of other staff and customers. She said for me not to sign anything until consult with a Labor Lawyer. I have been serving this company for over 21 years and could lose the Pension ? Please advise, as emotional stressed
Thank you for your time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you in a union? You mention grieving but some use the term incorrectly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are non-union although it is a Union environment I work in. I wanted advice in the event it leads to termination and lose all that was accumulated
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Your legal right is to have a full investigation which includes the right to have your story heard and your being able to fully answer to any allegations made against you.

You also have the right to a fair decision making process which means that people who are not at all biased must make the decision about how you should be disciplined, if at all.

If you are not afforded these rights then the decision-making process is not fair and you can sue for damages.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer helps somewhat. I will know better tomorrow as had a call from my Supervisor. Meeting will be held tomorrow at 2 pm. I spoke to another friend and she contacted her HR person. Advice was that they will likely try to package you out, but not to sign anything. The issue has to be the third on file with same issue and this is only the second. To get hold of a Labor Lawyer to review package first and foremost. I should first inquire about my Pension and how or who to obtain it. Then to take package to read it over with Counsel. Bare minimal is 8 weeks and any holidays(6 weeks this year) accrued to be paid out. Wish me luck please
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I most assuredly do wish you the best of luck.

Unfortunately , if they are saying that you are being dismissed for cause you are not entitled to any termination pay and so you will need to retain a lawyer if that is the case because you are going to have to sue them.

Please write me now since I can use your credit for my work.

Let me know what happens. The post does not lock even after you rate me so you can easily reply back again without any charge of course.