A commercial landlord showed s unit to a client with a

Customer Question
A commercial landlord showed his...
A commercial landlord showed his unit to a client with a unique business idea. The landlord had never heard of this unique business before, but recognised its merit. The client could not afford to lease the space and rented a more affordable one nearby from someone else.
The first landlord immediately went out and opened the very same kind of unique business in the space that the client had viewed with intent, but could not afford.
Is there anything illegal about this in Ontario? Or, is there a professional code of ethics commercial landlords are supposed to adhere to, to stop this from happening?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
2/17/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

There is nothing unlawful about what the landlord did and there is no such thing as a professional code of conduct for landlords unfortunately.

Unless you had copyrighted or patented your unique concept there is nothing you can do and it is not possible to copyright an idea so if it was just an idea There was no way you could have protected yourself in any event.

I am very sorry that this happened to you.