Can I record bulling in a union enviorement in

Customer Question
Calgary,Alberta. Local 37 outside workers...
can I record bulling in a union enviorement in Calgary,Alberta. Local 37 outside workers. I am referring to the city of Calgary collective agreement.And should I have a lawyer present during corporate security interview with me reguarding the recording.I am on payed leave during the investigation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Are you asking about recording a meeting where you are part of the conversation?

I was part of the conversation because I was the one being bullied. There was no official meeting, we were all waiting for our daily orders, in a huge garage. There were no offices, it was on city of Calgary property. The foreman asked if I was recording, I said yes. He then said you cannot do that. I than turned off my I phone.The iphone was on for about one minute, I had turned it backwards and pointed it down, and waited until a truck had started so that no one was recorded nor could any one be seen. This was just an attempt to stop the bulling.I turned off the iphone when my foreman told me that I could that. I am suspended from work pending an investigation in which Corporate security will conduct an investigation and will interrogate me. My union rep will be there, but they seldom say anything. Can I have a lawyer with me to protect me.
There is a lot of bulling going on that location and for some time, months. I have been bullied for about the last 3 years. Finally during a bulling session, I lashed out and said " I will meet you at the gate". But what I meant was to "talk it out" and If the guy wanted to fight with me I would than suggest That we could go to the gym and put on some boxing gloves and "vent" or get what ever it was off his chest.

Are you saying that they are investigating you because you recorded a conversation that you wetev part of on your iPhone?

No. I was recording bulling that was taken place on city of Calgary property. The foreman said you cannot do that. So I turned off my iphone. The foreman now says that I did not turn off my iphone and that I said that I can do what I want. When in fact I said nothing.

I suggest that as your next steps you speak to the union and make it clear to the union that you need their representation because the allegations relayed against you have been fabricated by the foreman. Once the union gets involves it may be that the employer backs down.

What you should know is that the union owes you a duty of fair representation and if the union will not represent you fairly then you can file a complaint against them. Unfortunately, without the union's assistance you are going to be in a very difficult situation.