How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100001
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Had a question about suing
, not yet
, Someone

Customer Question

hi there. Had a question about suing for libel
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Someone send in a witness statement for misconduct on a sports committee.. where they have said i don't respect women ' Sexist' this came about because the lady was a referee in a match where i said ' That the lady is not qualified to referee the match ' and it was a fact since she was a c/D player referring a match in a way higher caliber.. that would have been same comment for a man doing the same.. and the person added they have seen me do this before.. and in his opinion i am a sexist to a disciplinary committee , making his remarks permanent
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is this person stating this is his/her opinion or is this person stating this as a fact when it is a lie?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a lie but ... stated as an opinion in a formal complaint to a board.. this influences their opinion of me..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Personally I feel he is being sexist towards ladies in squash I have no time for people who think this way. he will not be allowed at one of my tournaments again until he apologizes to Janet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
above is the comment from the complaint
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You won't be able to sue successfully.

The wording is exactly what needs to be said to protect the person from a lawsuit.

It is not defamation when it is someone's opinion.

However, you can certainly have a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter, threatening a lawsuit and demanding a retraction and apology and that may work,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even the fact they are putting this into a formal complaint which will be seen by board members and influencing the outcome there is nothing i can do ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I didn't say there is nothing you can do. I said you could not sue successfully for slander or liable (defamation) as this person is stating their opinion.

But I did say that you should have a lawyer send a letter demanding a retraction and apology.

Related Canada Law Questions