Had a question about suing
, not yet
, Someone…

Customer Question
Hi there. Had a...

Hi there. Had a question about suing for libel

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

Someone send in a witness statement for misconduct on a sports committee.. where they have said i don't respect women ' Sexist' this came about because the lady was a referee in a match where i said ' That the lady is not qualified to referee the match ' and it was a fact since she was a c/D player referring a match in a way higher caliber.. that would have been same comment for a man doing the same.. and the person added they have seen me do this before.. and in his opinion i am a sexist to a disciplinary committee , making his remarks permanent

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
2/15/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Is this person stating this is his/her opinion or is this person stating this as a fact when it is a lie?

it's a lie but ... stated as an opinion in a formal complaint to a board.. this influences their opinion of me..
Personally I feel he is being sexist towards ladies in squash I have no time for people who think this way. he will not be allowed at one of my tournaments again until he apologizes to Janet.
above is the comment from the complaint

You won't be able to sue successfully.

The wording is exactly what needs to be said to protect the person from a lawsuit.

It is not defamation when it is someone's opinion.

However, you can certainly have a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter, threatening a lawsuit and demanding a retraction and apology and that may work,

even the fact they are putting this into a formal complaint which will be seen by board members and influencing the outcome there is nothing i can do ?

I didn't say there is nothing you can do. I said you could not sue successfully for slander or liable (defamation) as this person is stating their opinion.

But I did say that you should have a lawyer send a letter demanding a retraction and apology.