How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100407
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother rents a house from my widowed mother. There is no

Customer Question

My brother rents a house from my widowed mother. There is no legal lease. He has lived there for about 8 years. He has 5 sisters and we are all equals in my mothers will. The land will be sold and divided among her children. Recently my brother has expressed that he will claim squatters rights. I am not sure if he means now or when my mother passes. He is also the executor to the estate. Does he have a case for squatters rights and what does it mean to the other dependents?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

He has no idea what that means.

First, squatters right would never apply when someone is living in a home with consent. The whole idea about squatters rights is that the squatter is using the property continuously, exclusively, openly and without consent.

Second, he is a tenant because he is paying rent. So he's rights are what ever rights a tenant has and he certainly has no such squatters rights.

Related Canada Law Questions