Married a 2nd woman overseas and have a child from that

Customer Question
Married a 2nd woman...

Married a 2nd woman overseas and have a child from that wife. what happens if that woman files complaint in Canada from overseas through a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

I have a wife in Canada with two kids. I have a 2nd marriage in Bangladesh with a lady and have a little baby. The woman oversaeas is now threating me to sue in Canada through an immigratiaon consultant/lawyer. what should I do now

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
when I get the answer
2/14/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

She has no basis for suing you through an immigration consultant. That makes no sense.

Immigration consultants aren't lawyers and they cannot go to court. As well, this is not an immigration issue.

She can sue you for child support in Canada and would need to retain a family lawyer to do so. She may also be able to sue you for spousal support. Again she would need a family lawyer.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

The lady is not a Canadian citizen and she lives in Bangladesh. as I know now I can not marry another woman before I divorce the first wife. So I want to divorce the lady now. Pls let know what are the actions she can take

It does not matter what her citizenship is. My answer still applies. If you committed bigamy then she can report you to the police in Canada and you can be charged. Bigamy is a criminal offence

what should I do if she reports to the police for bigamy or goes to the Canadian court through a lawyer to sue me. can she sue from Bangladesh/overseas. what happens if I want to lodge divorce and get the child

If the child is in Bangladesh you need to bring the application for custody in the court there. The court in Canada does not have jurisdiction over the child unless the child habitually resides in Canada.

If she goes to the police then your next step would have to be to retain a criminal lawyer.

She can sue you for child support or spousal support in Bangladesh and they would need a lawyer here to apply to the court to enforce the order.

As the lady lives in Bangladesh now, how can she files a case against me for bigamy in Canada.. what is the punishment for bigamy for me. If I divorce her now, can she sue me in Canada for that as in Bangladesh, man can have more than one wife.
This is my last question.

If you married her in Bangladesh and the marriage is legal there then you will not be charged in Canada.

She can sue you there or here for support.

And divorcing her will not change anything.

pls give me a family lawyer and criminal lawyer no, so I can contact them when needed

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or ***-***-****(within the GTA)