Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My local City located in BC made a ruling that my house had

Customer Question

My local City located in BC made a ruling that my house had illegal suites because there was no eveidence that the city approved them in the past. House is 50 years old and suites were probably installed in the 1970's/ 80's. The city has admitted to very poor records. Since then we have found reason to belief the city installed a storm drain hookup on the property around the time the suites were installed leaving us to belief the city was aware but no documentation was filed. However, since the ruling made several years ago there is a new bylaw that excludes property under a certain height based on the flood plain. If there is good reason to belief the city was aware but have poor records so they didn't document the suites, would they be allowed to reestablish the suites that are below the new bylaw flood plain?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It certainly sounds like you have a strong case to proceed to attempt to compel the city to recognize your suits as valid.

The best approach you can take in a situation like this is to retain an experienced municipal lawyer who knows how to deal the city. If necessary you can proceed to court but it is hopeful that with a lawyer of experience you will be able to scare the city into complying without you having to go that route.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.