I have been recently approved Pension and my LTD company…

Customer Question
I have been recently approved...
I have been recently approved for Canada Pension and my LTD company wants the 22 months of back pay Canada Pension has awarded me. Is this legal, or is there a restriction of how far back the insurance company can go?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
2/13/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Is this CPP disability pension?

it is. They have back payed me 20 months worth and my insurance company is taking every dollar awarded me excluding the child portion of the cpp

This is legal. When you review your documentation about your insurance benefits you will see that you are require to seek all other sources of funding first and that this funding will reduce the amount the insurance company has to pay you.

So this is legal because you agreed to it and had to as you had no choice as they would not cover you otherwise.

This is standard unfortunately.

They can go back the 20 months.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear.