How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100057
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My only son was killed in a work related accident. I have

Customer Question

My only son was killed in a work related accident. I have read the accident report and it indicates that the place where he was killed was not properly maintained which caused his death. A piece of me died that day. My life has forever changed and it has been very traumatic for myself and my family. Do you believe I have a case here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry for your tragic loss.

Has anyone from the employer contacted you at all about your son's death and talked about compensation for you or for his estate?

Was your son an adult?

Did your son live with you?

Did your son have a spouse or children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The employer has given me so many empty promises and silence, it has been challenging getting people to answer my questions.
My son was 34 years old.
He did not live with me.
His son (out of wedlock) has received CSST and his common-law-spouse is fighting to try to get her compensation.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

When you say she is fighting to get her compensation is she suing the employer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she has had to taken action against the workman's compensation board.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Generally an employer cannot be sued when there is worker's compensation as that system it a no fault one which means the employee or heirs are entitled to compensation regardless of fault and the trade off is the employer cannot be sued.

There are exceptions in certain cases and that may be where there is gross negligence leading to death.

If you are able to sue the employer as a parent you would be entitled to sue and receive damages if you can prove that you suffered substantial emotional harm and that is clearly the case where a parent loses a child.

So your next step should be to consult with a lawyer that specializes in wrongful death actions in your city and you should do so at once.

Related Canada Law Questions