We had an AGM and 7 people were voted on. At our next

Customer Question
We had an AGM and...
We had an AGM and 7 people were voted on. At our next council meeting an owner asked if one of the people were eligible to be on council as he was a renter and his landlord (owner) didn't provide the proper paperwork at the AGM and signed the proper papers 6 days after the AGM. It was deemed that this person could not be on council due to incomplete paperwork at the AGM. Our question now is: Is the council for the remainder of the term a 6 person council or may we bring on another person to fill the 7th spot until the next AGM. Thank you for taking the time to listen and respond, Veronica
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Is this a strata?

it is
I forgot to put that in last response

The Council members can choose whom to replace this director with and then this new director will act until the new AGM.

Can you get different opinions from different lawyers as someone else on our council was told that the council would only consist of 6 on the strata council as the 7th one wasn't voted in correctly at the AGM.
forgot the***@******.***

That is not what the Act says.

Replacing council member

12 (1) If a council member resigns or is unwilling or unable to act for a period of 2 or more months, the remaining members of the council may appoint a replacement council member for the remainder of the term.

(2) A replacement council member may be appointed from any person eligible to sit on the council.

(3) The council may appoint a council member under this section even if the absence of the member being replaced leaves the council without a quorum.

(4) If all the members of the council resign or are unwilling or unable to act for a period of 2 or more months, persons holding at least 25% of the strata corporation's votes may hold a special general meeting to elect a new council by complying with the provisions of the Act, the regulations and the bylaws respecting the calling and holding of meetings.