How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3467
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MY daughter in pembroke wants to take personal care away

Customer Question

MY daughter in pembroke wants to take personal care away from me i am the husband
ithink they call it because its done leagle also she is the exertive of the wills can this
be changed quickly my wife does have demenshire.
my e.mail***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Are you agreeing to your daughter having that authority?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i want her taken off everthing personal care & exertive of all wills
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'm getting it.

You're the spouse, so decisions over your wife belong to you if she's incapable of making those decisions. Your daughter obviously believes that you're not up to the task, so because she's executor of your estate(s), she's treating this as if she has Power of Attorney. I'm assuming that, please tell me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, you need to see an estate lawyer. Get your wills amended if you wish for your daughter to have no authority over your estate. She can still be a beneficiary if you like, but if you don't trust her to respect your testamentary wishes then someone else should be the executor. By the way, "executor" isn't a term used any more, it's called "estate administrator" in most circles. But old lingo dies hard.

I'm sorry that your wife has symptoms of dementia, that's hard on both of you. Talk to her doctor, get an opinion on her capacity. If she still has periods of lucidity then she should sign a Power of Attorney over to you. You already have that by implication as her spouse, but if she does that document then it's an acknowledgement that she needs help with her personal care and finances because of her condition, and she's specifically named you rather than your daughter. An estate lawyer can take care of both of these issues for you. It shouldn't cost much.

Does that make sense? Please reply with your questions or comment. If I've answered you I'd appreciate a positive service rating, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I WILL GO to an estate lawer can you recomend one in kanata near terry fox dr.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

I don't know any estate lawyers in that area. I'm sorry.

You could check the Law Society's Lawyer Referral Service at

There are plenty of "rate my lawyer" websites if you want to search that too.

Or a website called Lexpert has lots of options too.

Good luck. If there's nothing else, may I have that rating please? That's how I get credit for helping you today.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your company helped me very much
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Glad to help. A rating is something you have to do from your end, you should see a row of stars (or a green button that says "rate" or "accept"), thanks very much.

Related Canada Law Questions