How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99949
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Saudi Arabia, I'm 18 and I'm in my last year of gh

Customer Question

Hello, I live in Saudi Arabia, I'm 18 and I'm in my last year of high school(secondary school) I am planning on studying in one of the top universities in Canada, after I graduate I plan to live permanently in Canada/get a citizenship, that is my ultimate goal. What are my options? and how do I go about this to ensure that I do get permanent residency? Is there a specific field of work required? I really want this to succeed. I want to live in Canada. I know my first goal is to start studying in Canada, but I ask you this so I can set the foundation and ensure that I make this happen.
Also, what is a work permit exactly? Is that the same as a study permit but for workers? What is an after study work permit? Can that get me to get permanent residency status?
I know my questions may seem basic, but like I said, hopefully this is setting a starting foundation. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

These are excellent questions but not at all basic. Immigration law is very complex.

What you would do is apply to the university and once you receive your offer of enrolment you would apply for the study permit.

When you are inside of Canada and have been here for at least six months you can apply for what is called an off-campus work permit which will allow you to work for anyone for up to 20 hours per week.

If you want to apply for permanent residency then you will be able to apply under the Canada Experience Class which will is for those who either work or study in Canada.

After you get your degree you will be able to get a post-graduate work permit and will be able to work in your chosen field.

After you do that you can apply for permanent residency status.

Here is a link to the information you will need about the Canada Experience Class:

One concern I have is that I want you to understand that the law in Canada especially with respect to immigration is constantly changing so you really should keep coming back to the Canada Immigration site over the years and at some point consult with an immigration lawyer either when you are still back home over the phone or face to face when you get to Canada.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. What is the benefit of the work permit when I'm studying? other than money obviously? I will be funded by the government/my family.
2. I'm confused, what is the difference between the CEC and the post graduate work permit? And how does that get me to permanent residency exactly?
3. Does the CEC require really skilled workers in a specific field, like is it hard to get into that program?
4. Is this plan reliable? Will this guarantee me permanent residency?
Thanks again.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You do not have to work when you are studying. Generally, universities don't recommend that because you need to study. I was just explaining that you could.

The post graduate work permit allows you to work in your chosen field for at least one year after graduating but has nothing to do with your permanent residency status.

The CEC application process is to get your PR status and you need work experience that you would get through the post-graduate work permit first.

There are no guarantees and the law changes all the time. Just before now your studying in Canada and then having some work experience was required or else a lot of work experience. Now this has changed and only work experience matters for the most part.

The specific fields change all the time.

This is why you need to keep following up and likely as you an afford it should consult with an immigration lawyer face to face when you arrive in Canada.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have another question, if I get a scholarship from the country I'm living in right now, to study abroad, will they undergo legal action or will they ask for the money they've paid back if I decide to get permanent residency/citizenship in another country?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I don't know the law any other jurisdiction but Canada so you will need to ask someone where you live for that information.

Related Canada Law Questions