How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100373
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away recently an i inherited her house. My

Customer Question

my mother passed away recently an i inherited her house. My name has been on the house since 2008. Is there anyway i can minimize the capital gain taxes i will pay once i sell the house. From what i can see putting my name on the house was a huge mistake, not sure why my lawyer would have advised doing that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Can I assume that you did not live in the house as your principal residence? Do you have a principal residence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did not live with my Mother and i do have a principal residence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also i am in Ontario
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

There is no way for you to avoid capital gains tax in most cases unfortunately.

The reason why your name as placed on title was to avoid probate fees. And if this was your mother's only asset then you would not even have to probate the Will which also saves time and money.

But it may be possible to argue that your name was on title for estate planning purposes only and that in fact you were holding title in trust for your mother and that you never actually had a beneficial ownership in the house until she passed away. That has been argued successfully though generally that tends to work when there is a letter in writing explaining what the intention that is prepared when this is done and signed by the parent.

So I suggest that you speak to an experienced accountant about this.

I am sorry for your loss.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks , one last question, there was a line of credit on the house that had $60000, would that help with the amount of taxes I will pay as it comes off the amount I will receive upon selling
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No. That does not affect how much tax you pay unfortunately. It is not about what you receive but about the true market value of the home.

Related Canada Law Questions