Thank help, My son purchased a 2004 vehicle via a private…

Customer Question
Good Morning, and thank for...
Good Morning, and thank for the help,
My young son purchased a 2004 vehicle via a private sale. Due to its age we did not check for liens and later found out the the original owner that sold the vehicle to the individual we purchased it from still has a lien against it. (two owners ago).
I contacted the bank, they sued the original owner and won, but however were unable to collect or garnish.
I made a small cash offer to the bank, they contered with the full value of the lien.
My perception is they are more interested in me paying off this gentlemen's debt as opposed to finding the original owner... A quick google search shows his current address and contact information.
Please advise on next steps, should I be suing the gentleman that sold us the car?
Regards
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
1/27/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this.

The bank just wants their money one way or the other. They don't care about what would be more fair. That is simply how they operate.

Yes, you should be suing the person who sold your poor son this car. He can join in the person who sold him the car into the lawsuit and that person can join in the one whose fault this is.

But the seller is the one who is liable to your son.

From now on, of course, do be very sure to check about liens.

You can sue in Small Claims Court and self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help?