How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101417
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen wanting to immigrate to Canada. My

Customer Question

i am a US citizen wanting to immigrate to Canada. My daughter is a Canadian citizen and we applied under the family sponsorship program. Until I here, what restrictions do I have regarding living in Canada? How long can I live here? What about medical insurance?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can come for a visit for up to six months and then either apply to extend you visit or go back home and come back a bit later.

You can only visit and cannot work.

You are not eligible for publicly funded health insurance until you get your permanent residency status and then live in one province for at least 3 months.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean I can stay six months, go home for five days and then return for another six months?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can try that and it may work at first but at some point the officer at the border is going to think you are really trying to live in Canada and then you will either be given a shorter time to stay or be turned away at the border.

It is just not possible to live in Canada until you get your PR status. It is the same way as this is treated in the US really. People need green cards to move to the US.

Do you see what I mean?