How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99979
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was terminated 8 years ago,without cause, from a company I

Customer Question

Customer: I was terminated 8 years ago,without cause, from a company I worked for 23 years. I received a severance package and tried to move on since. I live in a small Northern Ontario town where the only main industry is wood products and have been able to work as a seasonal summer truck driver for a civil construction company. Unfortunately, during winter season, have to look for other work seasonal work with other companies as the civil construction company does not have anything during winter months.Most winter wood hauling companies around here deal with the company I was terminated from and I am missing either winter seasonal or even full time job opportunities because the company I was terminated from refuses that I enter their property. This matter is the same with others that have been terminated by them over the past. once terminated they do not want any past employees on their property. Is this legal? I feel that the company is preventing me and others as a fact form gaining any employment with any sub-contractors dealing with them... THanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was terminated from my employer 8 years ago without cause and received a severance package. Since then I have been able to only find work as a seasonal summer truck driver for a civil construction company which does not have any work during winter months. Desperately trying to find a more permanent position in a small town, during winter season, independent contractors offer truck driver positions either hauling wood chips or log hauling, and are dealing with the company I was terminated from. Unfortunately, I am missing either seasonal or even the possibility of a full time position with these contractors because the company I used to work for refuses that I enter their property, which is the case with other employees over the years which they have terminated employment with. Is this legal? I am missing opportunities to gain employment because of this issue. Thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is no way to compel a former employer to allow a former employee to enter the premises if it decides that this cannot happen.

So unless there was some agreement to the contrary unfortunately you are stuck.

I do wish I had a better answer for you.

Related Canada Law Questions