How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100403
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently signed a lease agreement to rent a

Customer Question

I have recently signed a lease agreement to rent a commercial premises from a existing business to realized at a later date that the ceiling of this establishment which is presently made of dry wall material is not conforming with the law and regulations of my province (NL) Canada.
Fire rated tiles with a suspended ceiling is mandatory to pass inspection.
My question is: Who is responsible to tear apart existing ceiling in order to bring it to code?
The landlord or the tenant?
Awaiting your response,
Thank you kindly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did the landlord know what you were intending to use the premises for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is indicated in our lease agreement. It is for the use of a hair salon and esthethics. ( Beauty salon)
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It is your landlord's obligation to make sure that the premises are completely fit for the purpose for which you are leasing.

The landlord absolutely has to bring the premises into code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please call me
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No. I actually cannot call you. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my Law Society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone because you are not my client. I can only post over the site.

Related Canada Law Questions