I have recently signed a lease agreement to rent a

Customer Question
I have recently signed a...
I have recently signed a lease agreement to rent a commercial premises from a existing business to realized at a later date that the ceiling of this establishment which is presently made of dry wall material is not conforming with the law and regulations of my province (NL) Canada.
Fire rated tiles with a suspended ceiling is mandatory to pass inspection.
My question is: Who is responsible to tear apart existing ceiling in order to bring it to code?
The landlord or the tenant?
Awaiting your response,
Thank you kindly.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

Did the landlord know what you were intending to use the premises for?

it is indicated in our lease agreement. It is for the use of a hair salon and esthethics. ( Beauty salon)

It is your landlord's obligation to make sure that the premises are completely fit for the purpose for which you are leasing.

The landlord absolutely has to bring the premises into code.

Can you please call me

No. I actually cannot call you. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my Law Society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone because you are not my client. I can only post over the site.