Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm applying with my partner residencies, we lived

Customer Question

I'm applying with my partner for permanent residencies, we lived together for a year from 2013 to 2014, but in 2015 there was 8 months that we haven't seen each other. Are we still considered common law spouses?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you separate or were you just not able to live in the same place at that time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were just not able because she had to go back to Mexico for her work for a while but we never broke up!
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then you are fine as you are still common law spouses.

Be sure you can prove this by showing that you were still together in terms of how people thought of you, how you made decisions, how you communicated, whether you kept the same bank accounts etc.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would we need our friends or family as witnesses ? Would text messages help ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It is very likely that you will have to prove that your relationship is bona fide and ongoing. Generally, you will be asked to provide photos, letters from family and friends, perhaps letters from employers and neighbours, etc.