How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99959
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a spanish citizen and have my family here in canada and

Customer Question

I am a spanish citizen and have my family here in canada and planning to work here. What is the best way so that i can work legally here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you in Canada right now?

When you talk about your family are you referring to your spouse? If so is your spouse a Canadian citizen or permanent resident?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my 3 sisters are living here, they are already a canadian citizen. no sir,my wife is also a spanish citizen.Actually im here right now in edmonton having my vacation for 3 weeks.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers the service but the rules of my Law Society prohibit me from doing this because you are not my client. I assume that the law in the US is different. The site is based in the US.

There is no way to apply for a work permit from within Canada when you are here on a vacation.

Rather, you can obtain an offer of employment now and then go home and start the application process for a work permit.

Your potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). What this entails is the government reviewing the job market to ensure that there is a shortage of Canadians to fill your job. You cannot take a job away from a Canadian.So, you have to have a skill, or work experience, in an area where Canada needs workers and there aren't' enough Canadians who have that skill or work experience.

If that's the case then the government will give the employer a positive LMIA.

Then you can apply for the work permit.

You will need to prove your credentials and also need to undergo background, medical and criminal checks.

Here's the webpage that has all the information you will need including the forms and information about the fees:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if that is the case,need an employer to apply to the labour market sorry to tell you coz i dont have any employer to sign any work contract a civil and sanitary engineering graduate from the Philippines but i dont have any work experience in my field of frof. all i have is that long year of exp. in restaurant as a cook. 20 years of experience. thank you sir..
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You need a job offer before you can get a work permit.

I am sorry about that.

But if you want to immigrate you should consider if you meet the requirements of a skilled worker and you can read about that here:

Related Canada Law Questions